Category Archives: Ubuntu
Since Firefox 33 a “Secure Connection Failed” error can no longer be bypassed using the “I Understand the Risks” button. That buttion is gone! It turns out that Firefox now requires self signed certificates to be 1024 bits or longer where older versions only required 512 bits. Therefore you need to make a new certificate that is long enough.
You can fix this right from Webmin if you use another browser (such as Chrome or Chromium) that lets you bypass this type of error . Otherwise you can log in to your server and temporarily disable SSL in webmin by setting ssl=0 in /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf and restart webmin with “/etc/init.d/webmin restart”.
Then, either way, you can login to the Webmin web UI and select: Webmin -> Webmin Configuration -> SSL Encryption -> Self Signed Certificate. Fill in the form (or leave the defaults) and then click the Create Now button. This will update your self-signed certificate for Webmin and you will now be able to access the page from Firefox 33 (With the usual browser warning about an untrusted connection).
If you temporarily disabled ssl you will need to re-enable it with ssl=1 in /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf and restart webmin with “/etc/init.d/webmin restart”.
This removes the dependency causing the problem. Not sure yet what if any features are lost. But access 2007 runs now.
- Open the folder where the Office 2007 is installed (e.g.: ~/.cxoffice/Microsoft Office 2007/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12)
- Copy and then paste (create a backup) msaccess.exe.manifest
- Edit the file msaccess.exe.manifest with with gedit text editor
- find and delete the text block:
- save the file
</assemblyIdentity></dependentAssembly></dependency><dependency><dependentAssembly><assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="AceDAO" version="220.127.116.11" language="*" processorArchitecture="X86">
I keep getting a popup that says “Ubuntu has experienced an internal error” without any noticeable other symptoms. I believe this is due to a bug in the program apport. Until it’s fixed I’ve disabled the program from running on startup. Open a terminal and:
gksu gedit /etc/default/apport
and then change “enabled=1” to “enabled=0”
and save the file. Then to get rid of the running program either reboot or:
sudo service apport stop
I’ve been trying to convert home videos in mv4 format to either mp4 or flv format. Owncloud Video Streamer app does not appear to support m4v format. I was attempting to use:
ffmpeg -i myfilename.mv4 myfilename.mp4
ffmpeg -i myfilename.mv4 myfilename.flv
ffmpeg crashes in either case.
Here’s a workaround:
ffmpeg -i myfilename.mv4 myfilename.ts
ffmpeg -i myfilename.ts -ar 44100 myfilename.flv
Conversion from *.ts to *.mp4 also worked, but the resulting file had audio only on Owncloud Video Streamer even though it worked fine with vlc.
A few days ago I started having issues with the equalizer that is, no sound. I removed the equalizer as well as ladspa-sdk. I promptly forgot about the whole thing until I rebooted and my machine began running super slow. Checking in syslog I found stuff like this:
pulseaudio: module-ladspa-sink.c: Failed to load LADSPA plugin: file not found
pulseaudio: module.c: Failed to load module “module-ladspa-sink” (argument: “sink_name=ladspa_output.mbeq_1197.mbeq master=alsa_output.pci-0000_05_00.0.analog-stereo plugin=mbeq_1197 label=mbeq control=-0.2,-0.2,-0.2,-0.2,3.5,3.5,3.5,3.5,3.5,3.5,3.5,2.5,2.5,0.0,0.0”): initialization failed.
pulseaudio: main.c: Module load failed.
Failed to initialize daemon.
pulseaudio: main.c: Daemon startup failed
Clearly the equalizer had left something behind when I removed it. Turned out the problem was in ~/.pulse/default.pa. The file had been modified in the install and not removed with it. The offending lines were at the end of the file. They looked like:
### Generated from: pulseaudio-equalizer
load-module module-ladspa-sink sink_name=ladspa_output.mbeq_1197.mbeq master=alsa_output.pci-0000_05_00.0.analog-stereo plugin=mbeq_1197 label=mbeq #control=-0.2,-0.2,-0.2,-0.2,3.5,3.5,3.5,3.5,3.5,3.5,3.5,2.5,2.5,0.0,0.0
set-sink-volume alsa_output.pci-0000_05_00.0.analog-stereo 65536
set-sink-mute alsa_output.pci-0000_05_00.0.analog-stereo 0
### END: Equalized audio configuration
I commented out the lines shown in bold by adding a # at the beginning of each line and saved the file. Problem solved
I put together an old Pentium 4 system with an ATI 9250 AGP card hoping to use it as a development/test box. I have OpenGL working, to some extent, using the Radeon driver with KMS. At least
glxinfo | grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes
Nevertheless, the system boots into Gnome Classic even when Ubuntu is selected. The compiz configuration looks like Unity should run but it does not. It looks Like I won’t be able to use that system to play with Unity.
I wasn’t able to get Gnome 3 working from the Gnome3 team’s PPA on the box either. It seemed to install okay, and booted to the login screen but the actual login failed. The ppa-purge program worked fine though so I didn’t have to reinstall the system from scratch.
When you remove the gnome panel from Gnome Classic 11.04 you lose the Run Command capability. The gmrun program makes it possible to add back the feature. All that’s required is to associate it with the <Alt>F2 keyboard shortcut. I’ve added the instructions to my HowTo. Here: