Category Archives: Mint

Firefox unable to bypass Webmin Connection failure

Since Firefox 33 a “Secure Connection Failed” error can no longer be bypassed using the “I Understand the Risks” button. That buttion is gone! It turns out that Firefox now requires self signed certificates to be 1024 bits or longer where older versions only required 512 bits. Therefore you need to make a new certificate that is long enough.

You can fix this right from Webmin if you use another browser (such as Chrome or Chromium) that lets you bypass this type of error . Otherwise you can log in to your server and temporarily disable SSL in webmin by setting ssl=0 in /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf and restart webmin with “/etc/init.d/webmin restart”.

Then, either way, you can login to the Webmin web UI and select: Webmin -> Webmin Configuration -> SSL Encryption -> Self Signed Certificate. Fill in the form (or leave the defaults) and then click the Create Now button. This will update your self-signed certificate for Webmin and you will now be able to access the page from Firefox 33 (With the usual browser warning about an untrusted connection).

If you temporarily disabled ssl you will need to re-enable it with ssl=1 in /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf and restart webmin with “/etc/init.d/webmin restart”.

LMDE VLC Unable to Open Media on Samba Share.

As soon as I got the repositories right, VLC installed and worked. Well, mostly anyway…it still couldn’t open videos on a network share. Turns out you need to open a terminal:

sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse
sudo usermod -G fuse your-username

Then log out and log back in. At that point VLC will be able to open files on a mounted samba share.

LMDE VLC package Broken after Upgrade.

So, I built LMDE from the ISO I downloaded from the website. Then I upgraded to the latest service pack. Unfortunately when I did that Upgrade Manager left a couple of repositories pointing to the Debian mirror rather than the Mint mirrors.

Turns out that Mint now provides some of the components required for VLC in it’s own repositories. The debian repositories don’t have them. Here’s what Upgrade-Manager put (or left) in /etc/sources.list

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free

Here’s what should have been there:

deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free

As soon as I got the repositories right, VLC installed without any issues.