Author Archives: bruce turrie
Since Firefox 33 a “Secure Connection Failed” error can no longer be bypassed using the “I Understand the Risks” button. That buttion is gone! It turns out that Firefox now requires self signed certificates to be 1024 bits or longer where older versions only required 512 bits. Therefore you need to make a new certificate that is long enough.
You can fix this right from Webmin if you use another browser (such as Chrome or Chromium) that lets you bypass this type of error . Otherwise you can log in to your server and temporarily disable SSL in webmin by setting ssl=0 in /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf and restart webmin with “/etc/init.d/webmin restart”.
Then, either way, you can login to the Webmin web UI and select: Webmin -> Webmin Configuration -> SSL Encryption -> Self Signed Certificate. Fill in the form (or leave the defaults) and then click the Create Now button. This will update your self-signed certificate for Webmin and you will now be able to access the page from Firefox 33 (With the usual browser warning about an untrusted connection).
If you temporarily disabled ssl you will need to re-enable it with ssl=1 in /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf and restart webmin with “/etc/init.d/webmin restart”.
Firefox and newer no longer SSL support keys less than 1024 bits. This means you need to create a new set of keys for Webmin.
The easiest way to fix this is from Webmin using a different browser (like current versions of Chrome/Chromium) that let you bypass this type of error. Just login to the Webmin web UI and select:
Webmin -> Webmin Configuration -> SSL Encryption -> Self Signed Certificate.
Fill in the form and then click the
button. This will update your self-signed certificate for Webmin and you will now be able to access the page from Firefox (With the usual browser warning about an untrusted connection)
Press Ctrl+Alt+F3 and login into the shell.
sudo ls -lah | grep .Xauthority
if the result looks like:
-rw——- 1 root root 53 Nov 29 10:19 .Xauthority
sudo chown yourusername:yourusername .Xauthority
To download an updated release key, open a terminal and:
sudo wget http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/isv:ownCloud:community/xUbuntu_12.04/Release.key
sudo apt-key add - < /etc/apt/sources.list.d/Release.key
note: sudo wget needs to be on the same line as the address. It’s too long to show that way here.
Recently one of my systems started waiting for an enter key on a reboot. I usually run this system as a headless server so this meant it never would reboot properly. I found this workaround.
sudo grub-editenv unset recordfail
I fought for days trying to get my Owncloud server to allow remote https access. At first I thought it was either my Apache 2 configuration or my DMZ Shorewall router (on a Debian Squeeze Pogoplug). I turned out that my wireless set top box was using port 443. That meant I needed to use a different port for my remote https access to Owncloud. I decided to route port 4430 on my router to port 443 on my Owncloud server (running Ubuntu 12.04). Worked great…so far.
This removes the dependency causing the problem. Not sure yet what if any features are lost. But access 2007 runs now.
- Open the folder where the Office 2007 is installed (e.g.: ~/.cxoffice/Microsoft Office 2007/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12)
- Copy and then paste (create a backup) msaccess.exe.manifest
- Edit the file msaccess.exe.manifest with with gedit text editor
- find and delete the text block:
- save the file
</assemblyIdentity></dependentAssembly></dependency><dependency><dependentAssembly><assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="AceDAO" version="184.108.40.206" language="*" processorArchitecture="X86">
After, I run MSWord 2007 (or Excel 2007) whether under wine or Crossover I lose all my applications top bars. That means I cannot maximize, minimize or move any of my applications windows. The problem can be cleared by a reboot, which is a pain. It can also be cleared with the compiz configuration settings manager. Under the general tab, deselect OpenGL, then re-select it and the top bars come back. That’s better but I finalyy got so annoyed I dropped back to an archived version of Office 2003.
I keep getting a popup that says “Ubuntu has experienced an internal error” without any noticeable other symptoms. I believe this is due to a bug in the program apport. Until it’s fixed I’ve disabled the program from running on startup. Open a terminal and:
gksu gedit /etc/default/apport
and then change “enabled=1” to “enabled=0”
and save the file. Then to get rid of the running program either reboot or:
sudo service apport stop
The upgrade went smoothly. After the final reboot, my system looked unchanged. It took a few minutes to find anything new. Here’s what I found at that point;
Some of my older games (Heroes 3 & 4) no longer worked. I’d been running them under Crossover Office 8.2. I downloaded the latest trial version and after some minor glitches, it installed. The games then worked fine so I paid the $39.99 upgrade price.
Then in Gnome Classic, I noticed that the top bar was missing from “Windows” programs running in Crossover or wine. That meant I couldn’t move them around, maximize or minimize them without using the dock icon. For now at least I’ve switched back to Unity.